Lish's Quick Tip for Crisp Asparagus:
Don't actually cook your asparagus, just quickly sear it in a very hot pan.
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
2) Coat oven safe glassware with olive oil
3) Roast 1/4 c of sliced almonds or pine nuts until golden brown or to your liking (7 min or so)
4) While nuts are roasting, break asparagus ends off
5) Remove hot pan from oven and immediately set asparagus into pan to sear, move the asparagus around with a spoon so as to aid it in crisping up evenly.
This produces, in my opinion, the perfect asparagus. There's nothing worse than soggy asparagus. I mean, come on, peeps. If I am going to eat the stuff and suffer the consequences of "asparagus pee" then I am most definitely not eating it soggy!
Did I mention that this method of "cooking" your asparagus is healthy too? The less time you cook your vegetables, the more nutrients you retain.
In the words of dear Julia .... "bon appetit"