My Top Ten

Friday, January 8, 2010

Comfort Food




We all have foods that are comforting to us. This recipe is one of mine. I just love these muffins. They are so simple to make and bake up in a snap. The ingredient list is so minimal that they're one thing that can always be produced from pantry staples when your refrigerator is humming that obnoxious "I'm empty, feeeeeeed me" noise. There's no further need to introduce them, just please, make them.

Doughnut Muffins

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

Mix together wet ingredients:
1 egg, beaten into submission (sorry, I've scenes from Julie & Julia floating around)
1/3 c baking oil (canola or grapeseed)
1/2 c milk (i use soymilk and they turn out excellent)

Add in 1/2 cup sugar to wet ingredients, mix well.

Sift together:
1.5 c flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg*
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient; incorporate.

Scoop evenly into muffin pan
(or the new silicone baking cups which are super handy & highly recommended; more here)

Sprinkle muffins with cinnamon & sugar mixture.
1.5 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and yes, I use it all!

Bake for about 17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle of muffins comes out clean.


*Of course you can use pre-ground nutmeg, but the flavor of fresh nutmeg is amazing.
Nutmeg will literally keep for a year, so there's really no excuse not to keep some handy.....
Just grate it with your handy, dandy Microplane. If you aren't sure what a Microplane is just go to my archive and pull up "Why I love my Microplane" from November 2009.


No comments:

Post a Comment