My Top Ten

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

the best burnt cake I ever had




Well, what can I say? It happens to the best of us. That darn broil setting is so dangerous for me to use, seeing as I know myself and how easily I get distracted. Having said that, we did have company over and were able to provide them with entertainment while we pulled a flaming cake out of the oven. I do not exaggerate, folks. The best part? We still ate the cake. And it was good, even without the crunchy coconut topping. The topping was supposed to be a nice golden brown, but I went waaay past golden brown here. You know when you're making something and you just know it's going to be yummy? This was the first time I had made this cake and I was so excited to try it, unburnt that is. Anyhow, I am sure it'll be scrumptious if you'd like to give it a go. It's very easy, all ingredients go into one bowl, mix it up and bake it!

Coconut Almond Cake
In large mixing bowl, combine:
1 1/3 c flour
2/3 c brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder

Whisk together to combine and break up chunks of sugar, then add:
2/3 c milk
1/4 c butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix together with electric mixer for 1.0 to 1.5 minutes until smooth & creamy.
Pour into a greased round cake pan.
Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.

Coconut topping:
1/4 brown sugar
2/3 c flaked coconut
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons softened butter

Bring the mixture together with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs.

Cover cooked cake with coconut topping and Broil for 3-4 minutes until golden brown right before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment