My Top Ten

Sunday, December 18, 2011

fun eats & sweet treats; rum balls




If you don't know what movie that quote is from, we can't be friends anymore. Just kidding. My husband and I can hold entire conversations solely using favorite movie quotes, it's what we do. If you are ever on a tv game show where the looming question is about movie quotes, and you've only one phone call to aid you in selecting the correct answer, call me. (Disclaimer: I get 5% of your prize money, though). Anyhow...

I have tried to experiment with the recipe to make it healthier. Not so successful. In this case, go big or go home. So, for the holiday season, I splurge on the not-so-healthy ingredients and really enjoy these rum balls. Ok, I refuse to use the corn syrup. But they do taste best with the corn syrup. I just can't bring myself buy a whole bottle of corn syrup for the 3 tablespoons the recipe calls for, because it will sit in my cabinet unused for all eternity. Make no mistake, it will last that long. And that's the scary thing!



Classic Rum Balls

Ingredients:
1 (12 oz) box Nilla Wafers, crushed
1.5 cups finely chopped nuts (toasted pecans highly recommended)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup Dutch cocoa
3 Tablespoons corn syrup or honey or brown rice syrup
1/2 cup rum
additional powdered sugar for rolling balls into

Directions:
In mixing bowl, add all ingredients in order listed. First add the dry ingredients, stir to blend. Then pour in the corn syrup and rum. Mix well. Using your hands, shape the dough into bite-sized balls. Finish them by rolling them in powdered sugar. Refrigerate. The longer they sit, the better they get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment