My Top Ten

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Make your own Dishwasher Detergent

This truly all natural dishwashing detergent is super easy to make, cheap and it works!
Three ingredients stand between you and a Green Clean:
                                      1) Borax
                                      2) Super Washing Soda
                                      3) White Vinegar


What you do:
Borax + Super Washing Soda = 1:1 ratio

Find a suitable storage container, and mix equal parts of Borax and Super Washing Soda. Be sure to pour them in simultaneously or at least mix the powder well so as to blend or homogenize the mixture, so to speak. When your dishwasher is full, reach for your handy dandy container and scoop 1 tablespoon of the powder detergent into the Pre-wash spot and 1 tablespoon of detergent into the Main Wash spot. 

Pour the white vinegar into your Rinse Aid spot. I have found this step is curcial in procuring a good clean, don't skip the vinegar rinse!

I purchased all three items at Wal Mart, they should be readily available at your local grocer as well.

Disclaimer: My dishwasher is OLD. It doesn't clean, it sanitizes. Let me translate that for you; I have to completely rinse all of my dishes before placing them in my dishwasher. If you have a new-fangled dishwasher and you leave yesterday's oatmeal and lasagna glued onto your plates, I am interested in what the results might be. If someone tries it, I would love the feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment