My Top Ten

Monday, May 17, 2010

"Not-how-your-mama-made-them" Sloppy Joes




I cannot take credit for this scrumptious recipe. It belongs to my friend Em, although I did make a few small changes to the recipe. I, of all people, really enjoy looking down at my plate and seeing a well-rounded meal with potatoes or rice, a nice pile of vegetables, a healthful protein and a fresh salad on the side. But that "well-rounded looking" dinner is usually time consuming. I am continually expanding my recipe collection to include meals just like this one. This recipe provides all of the great things about the "well rounded looking" dinner except its all in one pot. Brilliant. This version of sloppy joes is very nutritious. It's got everything you need to make a great dinner.

Brown & season:
1 pound buffalo meat, in 10" frying pan
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon garlic


Chop:
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
1/2 red bell pepper

Sauce:
blend one 14 oz can tomatoes with 1/2 of a red onion.

Once the meat has cooked through, add:
chopped Celery & Carrot
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can kidney beans
Sauce
Bay leaf

Allow this to simmer away on low heat for a bit of time to soften the veggies and mingle flavors.

Toast 100% whole wheat buns on which to enjoy your hearty sloppy joes!

1 comment:

  1. girl, i am going to make this this week!! sure do love you and all your BRILLIANT ideas!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete