My Top Ten

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Protein Power

This blog topic will be about protein, and the word is at the top of my list these days. The average person should consume around 35 grams of protein per day, which is very easy to accomplish. However; when you're pregnant, you should consume at the minimum 80 grams of protein per day. Ideally a pregnant woman's protein intake should be more like 100 grams per day. This is a daunting task and one I am rising up to meet, daily. Don't just immediately go to: oh that's easy, protein bars and whey protein shakes, waa-laa. Right, and how many protein bars and protein shakes can you choke down for 9 months straight without completely losing it? I am still scarred from my first pregnancy. I did what every pregnant and working woman in America does, and that is exactly the protein bars and whey protein shakes regimen. Yuck. So, so, so very over that. I want food. Real food. I am the type of pregnant woman who needs food, and needs it RIGHT NOW. The goal is to incorporate protein into nearly everything I am consuming and it's keeping me on my toes. I feel like I am eating all the time, and it's only just begun. My staples are eggs, meat, nuts, soy, peanut butter, legumes and my prize ultra protein - raw bee pollen (CAUTION: run in the other direction if you are allergic to bees). Not to mention all of the yogurt and cheese, which I quite enjoy. Ok, and ice cream.

Anyhow, I am not normally a big "milk" drinker, but I have been drinking a soymilk concoction to aid in protein intake. This "milk" has 19 grams of protein. I sip on this concoction all afternoon with interimtent nut (walnuts are bad to the bone) & seed snacking along with the standard breakfast, lunch, and dinner fare. Anyhow, if you are feeling like you want to step into protein world, give it a try:


Lish's Protein Milk or "Milks" in Bodhi's words
(and, yes, Bodhi likes the milks too!)

1 cup unsweetened soymilk
1/2 banana
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
2 Tablespoons Cacao nibs or Dagoba Cacao powder (sold at Whole Foods)
2 Tablespoons flax meal
1 Tablespoon agave (or less, it's not bad without actually or omit if you use vanilla soy)
1/2 c ice

Blend until smooth and enjoy.

You may argue that this isn't much different from a protein shake, but I'd like to point out that it's made with real whole foods, and not from a powdered base. At least, I feel better about it ;)

I will be experimenting with quinoa flour, as quinoa is a complete protein grain. I'll let you know what I come up with, probably some quinoa protein muffins. Stay tuned.....

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I like to add egg whites to my morning eggs for more protein, too.

    ReplyDelete