My Top Ten

Friday, June 24, 2011

Motherly Inspiration

Each year, I seem to fully reflect on motherhood about the time that Father's Day rolls around and is celebrated. Father's Day makes me want to be a better mother, and I will tell you why: my husband. I watch Garrett with our children, and he captivates them (and me). He is such a natural father, he makes everything come alive. He is an excellent teacher, most patient and innovative. I pray our children have his out-of-the-box ingenuity. It makes life so full of joy, so much more of an adventure. It makes me feel alive. And that's what we are supposed to be after all, ALIVE. Usually, I blog about food that makes me feel alive, but today it's about my family. They are my best kind of soul food. Below is a bit of motherly inspiration from a random poem that my Grams clipped out of her local newspaper for me last year. I keep it on my dresser and read it often. I hope it inspires you, too.

 An adrenaline junkie already, she LOVES to fly


 Painting a masterpiece with Papa


My Grams; see that look on her face? That's one very proud great-grandmother. 


If I had my child to raise over again - author unknown

If I had my child to raise all over again, I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.


I'd finger paint more, and point the finger less.


I would do less correcting and more connecting.


I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.


I would care to know less and know to care more.


I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.


I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.


I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.


I'd do more hugging and less tugging.


I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often.


I would be firm less often, and affirm much more.


I'd model less about the lover of power, and more about the power of love. 

1 comment:

  1. So, so sweet. I love seeing Garrett as a father... and that he gets to parent along side you! I love that poem from your grandma. Words that ring so true!

    ReplyDelete