My Top Ten

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lish's Scrumptious Vegetarian Tacos

These tacos were absolutely delicious. Garrett and I both really enjoyed this recipe (as in no leftovers!). I will definitely be making them again in the near future. They are full of a variety of vegetables and I added beans for some sustenance and protein. A filling meal; healthful, and without the cost of organic meat! It's a very simple recipe and can be thrown together quickly.


2 garlic cloves
1/4 of a small white onion, chopped
1 can white beans; drained
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 poblano pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
2 roma tomatoes, cubed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
whole wheat tortillas

Heat a frying pan over medium heat with 2 teaspoons olive oil, and add poblano pepper, chopped white onion & garlic cloves.
Saute until fragrant, 2-3 minutes; add can of beans, bell pepper and corn.
Cook until corn is warmed and soft, 10 minutes or so.
Add tomatoes & green onion, stir and then add the lime juice and balsamic.
Cook just to warm the tomatoes and green onion; then serve immediately in whole wheat tortillas with fresh cilantro, a dalop of sour cream and avocado slices.

These tacos can easily become gluten-free or dairy-free for anyone out there with food allergies. Simply omit the sour cream dalop for dairy-free and use corn tortillas for gluten-free.

As a side note:
If I had had any leftoever, I would've turned it into chicken enchiladas later on in the week. For that, just boil & shred chicken breast, mix shredded chicken into the leftover vegetarian taco filling, and put into tortillas with a bit of cheese and cook at 350 for about 25 minutes. I don't cover my enchiladas with red sauce until the last 7-10 minutes of baking. I like crispy enchiladas; not soggy, mushy blah tortilla.

Here is a simple red sauce for your enchiladas:
1 - 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (muir glen)
2 garlic cloves
handful of cilantro or parsley
1/2 of a medium onion or 1 small onion; yellow or white
2 teaspoons chile powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
dash of cayenne, or more if you like heat

Put all ingredients in a blender and puree until you have a smooth sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! These look delicious and I bet it makes a darn pretty taco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the day you told me you didn't like pumpkin pie, even though we'd spent 2 hours making it? And now you want to write a healthy cookbook. I applaud you Girl! You have grown into the most awesome lady I will ever know. I didn't know about this web site, but I do now, and I now have Type 2 Diabetes so I eat much like you do, although I may not try the burnt cake! Rob (remember Robin? my son) has lead 2 groups to Guatemala on Mission trips from our Calvary Church here in Muscatine. He's an elder in the church of about 4,000! You both have made me so proud! And, by the way, I love anything you can put in a taco shell! Love and miss you! Aunt Pam Schmidt Knott

    ReplyDelete