My Top Ten

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Peppers, really, are one of my all time favorites. It goes back to highschool when my friend Gina introduced me to them, or should I say Gina's mother Leslie introduced me to them. Leslie made them, Gina and I were just good at eating them. I have loved them ever since and always think back fondly on those high school memories of eating stuffed peppers with Gina when I make them. This meal is a "re-do" as I like to call it. I often have these key items hanging out in my fridge from previous meals; leftover beef from tacos and leftover rice from soup. Ba-da-bing! Throw in some vegetables & spices and you've got a new, yummy dinner. Bonus, in the summer, you can grill the peppers instead of baking them which makes them even more enjoyable, in my opinion.

Filling:
2 cups Brown rice
2 cups Ground beef, Ground buffalo, Ground sausage
or a mixture, go crazy here. I dare you.
1/2 of a medium or 1 small zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
bit o' parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Sauce: (puree in your food processor or blender)
1/2 red onion
4-5 roma tomatoes
2 garlic cloves

Mix the filling and sauce in a frying pan on medium-low heat until it's thoroughly warmed.

While you are heating up the "stuffing" for the peppers, grill your peppers until they are lightly blistered and soft, about 10-12 minutes. Most chefs/restaurants remove the charred skins before serving, but we crazy Gildeas happen to like the charred skin. So go on personal preference there.
Allow peppers to cool so they are safe to handle & then cut off the stems and de-seed the peppers. Stuff 'em and eat 'em. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment